- Arrears is defined as a situation when a person is behind on a deadline or has an unfinished obligation or business.
When a person is behind in their taxes, it is an example of being in arrears.
- The definition of arrears is a past due debt or an unfulfilled obligation.
An example having arrears is when a credit card debt has been sent to a collection agency.
- unpaid and overdue debts
- unfinished business, work, etc.
Origin of arrearsMiddle English arrers from arrere, backward from Old French ariere from Vulgar Latin aretro from Classical Latin ad, to + retro, behind
behind in paying a debt, doing one's work, etc.
- An unpaid, overdue debt or an unfulfilled obligation.
- The state of being behind in fulfilling obligations: an account in arrears.
Origin of arrearsMiddle English arrers from arrere behind from Old French arere from Vulgar Latin ad retrō backward Latin ad to ; see ad- . Latin retrō behind ; see re- in Indo-European roots.