The definition of an aunt is the sister or sister-in-law of one of your parents.
An example of aunt is your father's sister.
- a sister of one's mother or father
- the wife of one's uncle
Origin of auntMiddle English and Old French aunte from Classical Latin amita, paternal aunt, diminutive of an unverified form amma, mother ( from baby talk)
- a. The sister of one's father or mother.b. The wife of a sibling of one's mother or father.
- Used as a form of address for an older woman, especially by children.
Origin of auntMiddle English aunte from Anglo-Norman from Latin amita paternal aunt
- (sister of someone's father) paternal aunt
- (sister of someone's mother) maternal aunt