- a person or thing that breaks; specif.,
- a device or structure for breaking up rock, coal, etc.
- a wave that breaks into foam against a shore or reef
- circuit breaker
Origin of breakeraltered ; from Spanish barrica, akin to barrel
- One that breaks, as a machine for breaking up or crushing a substance, such as rock, coal, or plant fibers.
- A circuit breaker.
- A wave that crests or breaks into foam, as against a shoreline.
- One who break dances.
Origin of breakerAlteration of Spanish barrica; see barricade.
- Something that breaks.
- A machine for breaking rocks, or for breaking coal at the mines
- The building in which such a machine is placed.
- A small cask of liquid kept permanently in a ship's boat in case of shipwreck.
- A person who specializes in breaking things.
- (chiefly in the plural) A wave breaking into foam against the shore, or against a sand bank, or a rock or reef near the surface, considered a useful warning to ships of an underwater hazard
- (colloquial) A breakdancer.
- A user of CB radio.
break + -er