- When you do not understand a difficult problem, this is an example of a situation where you feel confusion.
- When people are running around in a disorganized fashion with no idea of what they are supposed to be doing, this is an example of confusion.
The definition of confusion is a state of bewilderment, misunderstanding or chaos.
a confusing or being confused; specif.,
- state of disorder
- bewilderment; distraction
- failure to distinguish between things
Origin of confusionMiddle English and Old French from Classical Latin confusio
covered with confusion
- a. The act of confusing or the state of being confused: Backstage confusion made the rehearsal difficult.b. An instance of being confused: “After his awakening to Chicano identity, he briefly mastered his inner confusions and found an articulate voice” ( David C. Unger )
- Psychology A mental state involving impaired orientation with respect to time, place, or person.
(usually uncountable, plural confusions)
OriginSee also: confusión
From Old French confusion.