- A really really ugly dress is an example of a monstrous dress.
- A person who is prone to bouts of violent temper and beating people up for no reason is an example of someone who is monstrous.
- A 10,000 square foot mansion is an example of a monstrous house.
The definition of monstrous is something horrible or evil, like a monster, or something that is extremely large.
- abnormally or prodigiously large; huge; enormous
- very unnatural or abnormal in shape, type, or character
- having the character or appearance of a monster
- horrible; hideous; shocking
- hideously wrong or evil; atrocious
Origin of monstrousLate Middle English ; from Old French monstreux ; from Classical Latin monstrosus ; from monstrum: see monster
Chiefly Dial. very; extremely
- a. Shockingly hideous or frightful in appearance.b. Of or resembling a fabulous monster.
- Exceptionally large; enormous: a monstrous tidal wave.
- Extremely immoral or cruel: a monstrous dictator; monstrous behavior.
- Archaic Deviating greatly from the norm in appearance or structure; abnormal.
Origin of monstrousMiddle English, from Old French monstruos, from Latin mōnstruōsus, from mōnstrum, portent, monster; see monster.
(comparative more monstrous, superlative most monstrous)