- Obs. a doll
- a small, often jointed figure, as of a human being or animal, typically designed to be manipulated, as from within by the fingers of a hand or by strings held from above
- a person whose actions, ideas, etc. are controlled by another
Origin of puppetMiddle English popet ; from Old French poupette, diminutive of an unverified form poupe ; from Vulgar Latin an unverified form puppa ; from Classical Latin pupa, girl, doll: see pupa
- A small figure of a person or animal, having a cloth body and hollow head, designed to be fitted over and manipulated by the hand.
- A figure having jointed parts animated from above by strings or wires; a marionette.
- A toy representing a human figure; a doll.
- One whose behavior is determined by the will of others: a political puppet.
Origin of puppetMiddle English poppet, doll, possibly from Anglo-Norman poppe, doll; see puppy.